2014/07/13

Page vs Screen: The Great Gatsby

I recently read The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and I really enjoyed it. I then watched the movie a few weeks later, and I thought I would share my thoughts about it.
Summary:
The story is about Jay Gatsby, a very rich man who lives his life in the obsessive pursuit of being worthy and reclaiming the woman he loves, Daisy.


The Book:
I've already reviewed this book (you can read that here), but I'll give a brief summary of what I thought of it.

I really liked the book, I found it very beautifully written, and I found the characters to be very interesting. My favorite part about the book was how Gatsby is this mystery that slowly unravels, and you get to meet the man behind all the fabulous parties and rumors.

I liked that it was short, and nothing felt excessive or boring.

5/5

The Movie:
First of all, I really enjoyed this movie. It's definitely my cup of tea. I love the colors and the location. I liked that it had a sort of "fake" feeling to it, like it wasn't real.

I really loved how these huge parties really came to life. It was even more grand than I had imagined, but I thought it fit very nicely.

One of my few problems with this movie was that I felt it didn't have the same sense of mystery surrounding Gatsby. Maybe it was because I already knew Leonardo DiCaprio was playing him, but I didn't feel the same about him. I was also a tiny bit bothered by the use of the phrase "old sport", as I felt it didn't fit as well on screen as it did in the book.

I also thought the reaching for the green light was a little over the top.

One of my favorite scenes was the one between Gatsby and Daisy, when they're in Nick's house and meet for the first time in a very long time. I thought it was funny and adorable.

I mostly enjoyed the rest of the characters, and I especially liked Tom Buchanan. I thought he was portrayed very much like I had imagined. Daisy was also very good, just as air headed and annoying as I thought she was in the book.

4/5

Overall, I really loved the book, and I felt the movie did it justice, and I'm sure I'll watch it again.



SHARE:
© The Book Castle | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig