2017/10/18

BOOK REVIEW:
CHURCH OF MARVELS BY LESLIE PARRY

Title: Church of Marvels
Author: Leslie Parry
Published: 2015
Language: English
Pages: 320
Rating: 2/5


Summary:
Set in New York in 1895, this is the story of four young outsiders, among them circus perfomers, a night soiler and a woman escaped from an asylum, whose lives come together one fateful night.


Review:
I am not convinced by this book.

There is so much going on in this book that it's hard to know where to start, and I think this is its downfall; we follow all of four main characters, all very different. We've got a circus, a poor boxer, a mysterious baby, an asylum, a crazy mother-in-law, opium dens, you name it. It's all in here and the story drowns in it.

I think it's very difficult to have so many main characters and do them all well, and this does not achieve that. They're interesting, but difficult to connect to. I could also see where the story was going very early on and by the time I got halfway through, I just wanted to be done with it already. The writing does redeem it quite a lot though; I really enjoyed the descriptive style of it.

I think a lot of people would like this book though and maybe I am a bit harsh in my rating, but I stand by it. I'd recommend giving it a go if you think it sounds like something you'd like, because the majority of readers do seem to enjoy this.
You can get this book at The Book Depository
You can read more about it on Goodreads
SHARE:
© The Book Castle | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig