2014/06/19

Photography Books: Before They Pass Away by Jimmy Nelson

Yesterday, I went to a talk by Jimmy Nelson at Cinemateket in Oslo, and I thought I would show this photography book: "Before They Pass Away."


This is what it looks like. It has this beautiful cover and the book itself is gigantic, even for a photography book. I was so excited when I got this last Christmas. My poor parents nearly broke their backs carrying it home from the bookstore.


The book contains images of different small tribes all around the world. The title refers to how the culture of these tribes are dying, not the actual people (at least I think so).





Now, what I found interesting about hearing him talk is how he explained the controversy his project has sparked. When I read through the book, I didn't really see it as controversial. Different yes, because it's not your typical style of documentary photography, it has more of an artsy vibe to it (which I love.)

The reason I love these images is because of how Jimmy captures the beauty of the people; not the part where we would see as suffering, poverty and a "hard life", but the pride and esthetic of them and their culture. I think it's a very interesting take on what we would call "primitive people".





If you want to see Jimmy talk about his work, he has a Ted Talk online, which you can watch here.

If you want to read more about his project, you can visit his website. The book is also available on The Book Depository.

Even if you don't want to get too much into the subject of the book, you should look at it for the sheer beauty of it. Personally one of my favorite photography books.


SHARE:
© The Book Castle | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig