2014/06/26

Page vs Screen: The Virgin Suicides

So, I read "The Virgin Suicides" by Jeffrey Eugenides earlier this year, and I absolutely loved it.

A couple of weeks ago, I watched the movie.

Plot Summary:
Told from the perspective of a group of men, looking back to the days where they lived in the same neighborhood of the five Lisbon sisters. The boys are obsessed with these girls, and they tell the story of the year leading up to the day they commit suicide, trying to solve the mystery.

The Book:
Actually, I was lying before. I didn't love it at first, but I really liked it. Now however, it's sort of grown on me. It just kept buzzing in the back of my head, and I kept thinking about it afterwards.

That's how I know a book has really made an impression.

The writing is absolutely beautiful, and I like how it feels very poetic and very smooth. I also, when I think about it now, realize it's actually a sort of creepy book too.

I also thought it was cool how you almost feel like all the girls move as one organism, just floating around, and how they boys so desperately want to just be near them and touch them and touch the things they've touched. Also very creepy when you think about it.

I really loved how the girls felt like this mystery that I couldn't quite unravel, which is how it feels like for the boys who watch them; the Lisbon sisters are a mystery they will never solve. I really felt a connection to the boys who watch them, I realized how young they were and I really felt their desperation to figure it all out.

5/5

The Movie:
I always feel like you can't get the same enjoyment out of a movie if you've read the book first, because you know everything that's going to happen. It's the same if you watch the movie first, you just sit there waiting for the things that happened in the movie to happen in the book. With this, however, it's a little bit different.

The thing about this story is that everyone knows what's going to happen just by reading the title of the book/movie. They are going to kill themselves, that's inevitable. And the book is told very much like this; we all know it's coming, let's just see how we get there. Because of this, I felt like I enjoyed the movie more than I normally would.

I felt like the movie captured the mood of the book, and I thought it was directed beautifully. I didn't quite feel like the girls had the same air of mystery, but I think that's inevitable when you see something on screen. I really liked they boys though, that they looked so young and acted the way they did, it felt very much like it did in the book.

One of the things I really enjoyed was the Lisbon sisters mother and father. They're quite the characters in the book, and I thought it was translated beautifully to screen.

4/5
Overall, the book made much more of an impression than the movie, but I thought it was a good adaptation, and definitely worth watching.

I do, as usual, prefer the book.




SHARE:
© The Book Castle | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig