2017/09/18

BOOK REVIEW:
A IS FOR ALIBI BY SUE GRAFTON

Title: A Is For Alibi
Author: Sue Grafton
Published: 1982
Language: English
Pages: 345
Rating: 3/5

This is the first book in the Kinsey Millhone series.


Summary:
Former cop turned detective Kinsey Millhone is sought out by a woman convicted of killing her husband and hires her to find out who really killed him.


Review:
This was a good and solid mystery novel.

I quite liked the main character; she's down to earth and somewhat relatable, though I don't feel I really managed to grasp her or connect to her completely. She drives the story forward and it's through her eyes we see the story unfold, which works really well. There's quite a lot of characters in this book though, and I'll be honest; I struggled in some points to remember who was an ex-wife, who was a former mistress, who was the son of the ex-wife of the... wait a minute... I'm not sure if that's just me that didn't concentrate enough, but I usually don't struggle with that in other books.

The setting of L. A. was surprisingly good; you get a really good sense of the time, the place and an atmosphere of the non-rich vibe of the city. There's a lot of twists and turns in this book, and I feel the story has a good balance; it's fast-paced, but not rash, it's action-packed but not ridiculously so, and the mystery is intriguing, if somewhat predictable in parts. I do think it ended a bit abruptly, but I can't really think of another way it could have been done. I was also not overly fond of the romance aspects.

It's not a story I felt emotionally invested in, but it certainly was enjoyable. I'd say this is a great read if you enjoy crime, law and mystery with a cool female protagonist. I liked it enough to want to read more books in this series and see where it takes Millhone next.
You can get this book at The Book Depository
You can read more about it on Goodreads
SHARE:
© The Book Castle | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig