2016/03/15

TOP 5: RUSSIAN LITERATURE I WANT TO READ

Having recently finished War and Peace, I've found I want to explore more Russian literature, so here are five books from Russian authors I want to read.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov


A book that has been on my TBR for as long as I can remember, I think this will creep me out, but fascinate me.

Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol


I have read a tiny short story by Gogol before and really enjoyed it, so I want to read more of his works.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy


Because I enjoyed War and Peace, I really want to read another book by Tolstoy. I actually imagine I'm going to like this even better, because I've heard it's a lot more character driven, while War and Peace is very much historical and political.

Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky


This is actually one of the two books by Dostoevsky I own, the other one being a short novella, and I feel these are less terrifying than the beast that is Crime and Punishment.

The Captain's Daughter by Alexander Pushkin


I want to read this because I know my grandma read it and really enjoyed it and even told me I should read it. So, I probably should.


Do you have any Russian literature you want to read soon, or any books to recommend?


SHARE:

11 comments

  1. I wanted to read Lolita because it's like so famous and the story itself is very controversial. I also want to read Anna Karenina, since I'm interested in watching the movie, but that book is HUGE. I don't know if I'll be able to finish it XD

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's MASSIVE. I want to read it too, but the length is kinda disheartening :P

      Delete
  2. I read Lolita about half a year ago and I loved it! I know it's a weird thing to say about a book with such a topic, but I really enjoyed it. I love Nabokov's writing (and I cannot wait to read his Transparent things). I also really want to read Anna Karenina and Dead Souls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, even if it's a disturbing topic, something can still be fascinating and beautiful in a way :D

      Delete
  3. -Dead Souls was a huge let down for me.:( Gogol himself threw the original book into the fire, so Dead Souls, for the most part is his drafts and notes on the story all put together and that I felt made much of the story seem incoherent and rushed.
    -On another note, Crime and Punishment is one of my favorite reads!:) It was the first Dostoevsky I've read and it really worked out for me -I believe Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov to be the most representative of Dostoevsky's work and style. Though I understand that it might seem slightly overwhelming & it does deal with some heavy themes, I think it's very easy to read.
    -Chekhov short story collections are also wonderful! Most of his stories deal with everyday life and personal inner struggles one can have and are written in a simple, sweet, sympathetic and very melancholic tone (but there are some funny ones as well).
    -Another Russian classic I dearly love is Leonid Andeyev. Some of his stories are strongly political but most have psychological themes and deal with madness, schizophrenia and sexuality. I feel he's somewhat underrated and I don't really know if he has been translated into either English or Norwegian but I highly recommend his work!
    Happy reading!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't know that about Dead Souls! What a shame he threw it away...

      It's good to hear that it's easy to read, that makes me feel a little better :D

      I will definitely check out Andeyev, his stories sound really interesting. I'll find out if it's been translated :D Thank you so much!

      Delete
    2. Oops! I've done a typo, the name is Leonid Andreyev.:D
      Happy to oblige! I really like your blog and I have found some very interesting reads through your posts!
      Cheers!:)

      Delete
  4. 'The Master and Margarita' by Mikhail Bulgakov is weird as hell, but *so good*. I highly recommend it :)

    C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had to listen to Dostoevsky's 'Notes from the Underground' for a english class and my god the narrator freaked me out a bit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, really? In a good way or a bad way? XD

      Delete

© The Book Castle | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig