2015/04/21

Top 5:
Books I Want To Read From Other Continents

I recently read a book that made me think about how important it is to read diversely. I read mostly works from Europe (mostly UK and Norway) and North-America, and I've realized I want to read some books from other continents. I think it's time I expand my horizons beyond my usually anglophone bookshelf. This means I want to read books not just set in other places, but written by authors from those places. Here are five of them.

Rickshaw Boy by Lao She

First published in China in 1937, this is now considered a Chinese classic, and is about a boy who dreams of one day owning his own rickshaw, but struggles on his path.

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende

This is a historical fiction, magical realism book follows several generations of a family. I love books like these, especially in summer, so why not read one from Latin America?

Prince of Ayodhya by Ashok K. Banker

As far as I can tell, this is a sort of retelling of a 3000 year old legend from India (the Ramayana). As I love mythology, it would be really interesting to read modern versions of myths from India.

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

This is a romance, magical realism story from Latin America that was a best-seller when it came out. 

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I don't know if this was originally published in English or Nigerian, but the author of this book was born and raised in Nigeria. I've also heard so many amazing things about this book that I just have to read it.


Let me know if you've read any of these, or if you have any recommendations about literature from other countries.

SHARE:
© The Book Castle | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig