2014/12/13

Bookmas Day 13:
Top 5: Norwegian Christmas Food

It's time for a little Norwegian culture people: a list of my favourite food this time of year!
1. Smultring


This is our version of a donut, and are very popular this time of year. Around Oslo, there are these trucks that sell them and those are the best kinds. Especially if you're lucky and they're still warm... YUM!
2. Julebrus


This is basically a Christmas soda, and I often argue with my friends which is the best kind, because some of them like this red Christmas soda... but trust me, this one is the best one.
3. Marzipan pig


Christmas marzipan pigs are a big deal here in Norway, and usually what you get if you find the almond in the porridge (do other people do that, or is it just us?). Anyways, I always have to get one, and they are delicious. Though, if you eat a lot, you'll get sick, but it's worth it.
4. Gløgg


Norways take on mulled wine, and it is delicious. A lot of people like putting nuts and raisins in, but I like it without (Raisins is probably my least favourite thing ever). 
5. Risengrynsgrøt


This is a type of rice porridge where the aforementioned almond is dropped in. In my family, we always eat this on the 24th for lunch, and whoever gets the almond gets the marzipan pig (though we have an alternate treat to, because some in my family are allergic). We eat this with butter, cinnamon and sugar, and it's really delicious.
What do you like to eat around this time of year?
SHARE:
© The Book Castle | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig