2014/11/12

Bookish Reflections: Not Finishing Books

Today, I thought it was time for a little reflection around not finishing books.

Now, it is quite rare that I don't finish a book. I do quite a lot of research before I buy a book, so it's not often that I dislike the books I read. So it isn't often I feel like not finishing something, but on occasion, I pick up a book I'm not in the mood for or that is just not for me. And I force myself through it, even if I actually really don't want to read it.

And when I'm finished, I don't feel like I've accomplished anything or done something good, I just feel drained and like it was a waste of time. And I think to myself, why didn't I just stop reading it?

I don't know about you, but I think I feel like I can't say that I don't like a book if I don't read all of it. And yet, I know when I'm halfway through that it isn't for me. It has never happened that I've finished a book I thought was bad changed my mind about it. So why bother?

I do feel kind of guilty when I don't finish a book, but isn't that a little ridiculous? If it's not for me, it's not for me. And maybe it's a great book for someone else.

Life really is too short to read shitty books, let's be real. There's so much else to read. I've gotten a little better at not finishing books when I don't like them, but when I think about it, there are a lot of books I wish I hadn't wasted my time on.

What do you think? Do you force yourself through books you don't like or do you just stop?


SHARE:
© The Book Castle | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig