2014/09/09

Page vs Screen: Memoirs of a Geisha

Today, I thought I would to another book vs move, this time about Memoirs of a Geisha, written by Arthur Golden.
Summary: 
This is the story of a geisha, living in Kyoto, Japan, in the years before, during and after WWII. 


The Book:
It's been about a year since I read this book, and I remember really enjoying it. I really enjoyed the voice of the main character, and learning about the world of geisha in Kyoto. You really get to see the transformation of little, Chiyo, living in a village by the sea, turning into Sayuri, the most famous geisha in Gion. I also liked how the war intertwines in the story and shakes everything up and out of place.

But it is as with many books, when you read them after you've seen the movie, you read the story differently. Especially since I loved the movie, I was constantly waiting for my favorite parts of the movie happening in the book. This is why I think it's so important to read the book before watching the film. 

Despite that, it has turned into one of my favorite books of all time.

5/5

The Movie:
As you can probably tell by now, I LOVE the movie. It's simply beautiful. The world in Gion and the world of geisha, it's all portrayed so beautifully, yet it doesn't gloss over the fact that it is all for show, a place of fantasy. The ending is a bit different than in the book, but it suits it well either way.

I also felt a much stronger connection to some of the other characters in the movie than perhaps in the book, especially the character of Mameha. One of my favorite quotes from the movie is one of hers:

"Remember, Chiyo, geisha are not courtesans. And we are not wives. We sell our skills, not our bodies. We create another secret world, a place only of beauty. The very word 'geisha' means artist, and to be a geisha is to be judged as a moving work of art."

I also love how they captured the transformation of Chiyo turning into Sayuri, and the conflict between Sayuri and Hatsumomo (another geisha in the same house). It's quite intense at times.

I don't want to reveal too much, but you could watch this movie purely for the cinematic splendor. It's one of my favorite movies, maybe even the favorite.

5/5

Overall, I guess we can safely conclude that I love both, though perhaps I favor the movie a tad more than the book.

You can read more about the movie here, and you can get the book here.

SHARE:
© The Book Castle | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig